Sunday, September 8, 2013

Leave the memories alone...

As hard as I have searched, I have found no good reliable articles on the link between bipolar disorder and memory. The Mayo Clinic, however, states that one of the symptoms of bipolar disorder is memory impairment. Medication may also play as a factor into memory impairment for it alters your brain chemistry in certain ways.
Memory impairment has affected me since my initial symptoms showed up around age fifteen. It started as forgetting to do a homework assignment here and there, or remembering to do a chore. But then, after a couple of years, it turned into forgetting what day of the week it was, forgetting the name of a person I have met several times, and forgetting to do simple tasks like taking my meds.
I have a couple of tricks for dealing with this memory problem. The biggest trick is sticky notes. I always use sticky notes, even for small things. And I pin them everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. They literally fly out of my pockets on certain days.
Another trick is object placement. I'll place an object that I know will remind me of something that I need to do by the door or on the table near my bed. This helps me to remember that I have something important to do, and this object triggers my memory.
I also keep a planner. That one is pretty self-explanatory. The problem is remembering to check it every day.
I seem to have memory issues during depressive episodes, but not manic. I can barely remember my depressive episodes because my thoughts are like sludge (they move slowly), but I can remember the manic episodes well, mainly because I'm actually able to string together thoughts and remember them.
Point is, memory impairment is a major problem for me, and a problem that I'm sure others with bipolar disorder deal with too.

Best,
Ben P.

No comments:

Post a Comment