Monday, September 9, 2013

Depression, mania, and hypomania...oh my...

When I started this blog, I just kind of assumed that everyone knew the difference between mania and depression. That was a stupid assumption, I'd like to pretend it never happened, and I would like to explain the difference.
Depression is the low side of bipolar disorder (which, I should mention, was and is still sometimes referred to as manic-depressive disorder). Basically what happens here is that the person with the condition feels down and melancholy, lethargic (sluggish, not wanting to do anything), and hopeless. When I'm depressed, my thoughts also slow down to a point where they are almost like sludge. They move so slowly that it is hard to grasp them and form a complete thought. Sometimes the thought just drops from thin air. Both people with bipolar I and bipolar II experience depression. The depression generally lasts longer in those with bipolar II.
Mania is totally different. It's a state of euphoria (total happiness) and elation. It can also be a state of total irritability and impulsivity. I've been irritable during manic episodes. As for the impulses, some people go on shopping sprees, some people go on road trips, some perform dangerous stunts. I hoard food and binge-eat. Manic episodes also cause a loss of sleep. During my last major manic episode, I got 30 hours of sleep in a week. However, there is also a productivity factor there, for often people in manic episodes (including myself) become incredibly productive and get a ton of work done. Energy is key here. People with bipolar I have manic episodes, while those with bipolar II do not.
There is also something called a hypomanic episode. A hypomanic episode is a "less severe" version of a manic episode. Basically, it is not as intense and lasts a shorter period of time. However, it still greatly affects the life of the person with the condition.
Hope this helped a little!

Best,
Ben P.

No comments:

Post a Comment